Do you ever wonder if you are getting enough protein? Do you need some extra energy? Today I thought I would challenge myself to come up with a bread that would have lots of protein in it just for the fun of it. Forget the protein shakes with a bunch of extra chemicals in them and try this bread instead. 🙂
“The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight.” – M.F.K. Fisher
Cottage Cheese Hemp Bread
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup milk (or soy milk)
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- Place all ingredients into pan of bread machine in order listed. Make a well to put the yeast into so it doesn’t touch the liquid.
- Bake on basic setting . Cool at least 15 minutes on wire racks before slicing.
This one rose higher than it should have, hit the top of the bread machine and sank. Because of the high altitude here I should have used a little less yeast. (I’m working on the dye to make this loaf into edible art. I’ll post the results tomorrow).
The verdict? Even though it sank, it’s a solid, moist, tasty bread… and a great way to get some protein! 🙂
What do you think about it? Do you really enjoy your bread, or is it just something with carbs that you stay away from? Have you had a good time with friends around a loaf of bread? I’d love to hear your experiences in the comments!