“Do you like green eggs and ham?” “I do not like them, Sam-I-am. I do not like green eggs and ham!” “So how about green bread instead? Flavored by matcha?” is what I said!
I bought some Matcha Green Tea Powder from Stash Tea and thought I might try using it in bread. This is the recipe I came up with…
Matcha Green Tea Bread
- 1 1/4 cup orange juice
- 2 cups all purpose unbleached flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons matcha green tea powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons dry active yeast
- Place all ingredients into pan of bread machine in order listed. Make a well to put the yeast into so it doesn’t touch the liquid.
- Bake on basic setting . Cool at least 20 minutes on a wire rack before slicing.
It was moist and dense, and delicious, especially still warm from the bread machine! I watched some people’s eyes close in pleasure when they tried it. 🙂 I made it to go with my Red Veggie Soup (http://lifeofcolors.com/2012/07/10/red-veggie-soup/) Most people totally enjoyed dipping it in the soup and eating it that way. The flavors really complimented each other.
It’s also very tasty toasted.
Next time I would use less of the Matcha Tea. The tea is really expensive and it would probably still taste wonderful with a tablespoon or less of it.
“We do so like green Matcha bread! Thank you! Thank you”, they all said!